Taken from the Edward Partridge Family Association News Bulletin in August, 1955.



Lydia Clisbee (Partridge) is a daughter of Joseph Clisbee and Miriam Howe; who is a son of Ezekiel Clisbee and Hannah Lewis; who is a son of Ezekiel Clisbee and Abigail Frothingham; who is the son of Ezekiel Clisbee and Sarah                           .


Lydia was born in Marlboro, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, on September 20, 1793.  They lived in eastern Massachusetts among the great sugar maples and orchards in Pittsfield, Berkshire, Massachusetts.  It was a rural hamlet with sheep and cows.  Each man had his own tobacco patch and Negroes to do the drudgery.  While she was very young, the family moved to New Hampshire, her mother dying when Lydia was about twenty-two years of age.


She and her sister Eliza went to Ohio where she became acquainted with Edward Partridge, to whom she was married in the year 1819.


They lived in Painesville, Ohio for several years and became identified with a religious organization effected by Sidney Rigdon, professing the doctrines taught by Alexander Campbell.  Both she and her husband were baptized at Mentor by Sidney Rigdon, one of the leaders of that religious sect.


Her husband was a hatter by trade and carried on quite a business in that line, and was in prosperous circumstances when the gospel found them.  The first Mormon Elders who visited them were Parley P. Pratt, Oliver Cowdery, Peter Whitmer and Ziba Peterson.  She was baptized by Parley P. Pratt in 1830, her husband joining the church soon after.


On February 4, 1831, her husband was called by revelation to be a Bishop in the church and to go to Missouri and locate.  The following June, in company with others, he started for Missouri, and located in Independence, Jackson County, Missouri.  Lydia was left in Ohio with the care of a sick family, and afterwards performed the journey with her children to Missouri, which in those days, without the protecting care of her husband, was no small undertaking.  She had $500 in money when starting from Painesville, Ohio, but it was thought unsafe for a woman to carry so much money.  Therefore she gave it into the care of another person for safe keeping.  She never received one dollar of it back again.


Her husband was required to devote his time to the duties of his office, and his property being used up or sold for little or nothing, they were brought into straightened circumstances and suffered in common with the rest of the saints, the hardships and persecutions endured by them, which have become a matter of history.


To them were born the following children: Eliza Maria, Emily Dow, Harriet Pamela, Caroline Ely, Clisbee (who died in infancy), and Edward.


When the baby Edward was born, as Lydia was beginning to sit up and move cautiously from her bed to the chair, one night her husband was ruthlessly taken from the room by a mob and taken to the public square nearby, where he was stripped of his clothing and tarred and feathered.  The rest of that night Lydia and her daughters, with the help of the brethren was spent in taking off the tar and feathers


and binding his wounds and bleeding limbs.  (In later years this baby Edward, served in the Presidency of Millard Stake and later became President of Utah Stake.)


When the saints were expelled from Far West and Independence and fled to Clay County, Lydia and her family resided there until the fall of 1836.  During the years 1833 and 1836 her husband filled a mission to the Eastern States, leaving her with their children.


Lydia was again compelled to make a journey without her husband, for during the winter of 1838-39, in conformity with Governor Boggs exterminating order, having the care of six children, she arrived in Quincy, Illinois, where they were well received by the citizens of that place.  Here she was later joined by her husband after his release from prison in Ray County.  They continued to dwell here until the ensuing summer or fall.


After the purchase of lands and the settlement of the Saints at Commerce (afterwards Nauvoo), her husband was appointed a Bishop of one of the three Wards (the Upper Ward).  The family moved to Nauvoo.  The Saints were nearly all sick with fever and ague and Lydia and Edward’s daughters, Lydia and Harriet, had the ague about a year.  Harriet died with it on May 16, 1840, and her father was taken with pleurisy in his side and suffering from the persecutions through which he had passed which weakened his body, he passed away about ten days after the death of his daughter Harriet, on May 27, 1840.


Lydia was married to Father William Huntington, whose wife had likewise died.  To escape mob violence, they left Nauvoo with the first companies in February 1846, crossing the river on the ice with their teams and wagons.  At Mount Pisgah, Father Huntington was appointed to preside over those who were left there to raise a crop, and come on the next season, but he was taken sick and died on August 19, 1846.


In the spring of 1847, Lydia and family were moved to Winter Quarters on the Mississippi River by teams sent by President Brigham Young, and arrived in Salt Lake Valley with the Saints in 1848.  She lived in Salt Lake City for awhile with her daughter Emily Dow (who was married to Brigham Young), but later moved to Oak City and Fillmore with her other children.  Eliza Maria, Caroline and Lydia were married to Amasa Mason Lyman.


Although their property was sacrificed in becoming identified with the “Mormons” and her husband had labored for the people and worn himself out in the cause, yet Lydia was always loathe to ask for assistance, and labored diligently to support herself and family, and was always found earning something.


She was exemplary in her daily life, and never was known to be anything other than a true and faithful Latter-Day Saint, and it was known she never had a personal enemy.  In disposition she was quiet and unassuming, and her good works were performed without boasting, but from an innate love of the right, and the natural kindness of her heart.


She lived until she was nearly eighty-five years of age and up to within a few days of her death was busy constantly making quilt blocks, sewing carpet rags, braiding straw and making hats.  She was especially skilled in making buckskin gloves and when they were taking up donations for the Manti Temple, she donated seven pairs of home-made gloves, equivalent to about fourteen dollars.


[From the journal of Lydia’s eldest child, Eliza Maria Partridge Lyman, the following is copied]


“Sunday June 9, 1878--My dear Mother breathed her last at ten minutes to seven in the evening.  She slept the last four hours of her life and passed away without a struggle.  We commenced immediately to prepare to take her to Fillmore as she requested us to lay her beside her daughter Lydia who has been buried there over three years.  We succeeded in getting ready and starting about two o’clock in the morning.  My son Platte and his brothers, Fred and Edward, and brother-in-law Alvin Roper, doing what was to be done, our neighbors showing us no kindness at all with the exception of brother John Lovell, who offered us the use of a horse and wagon which we did not need . . . Sister Rebecca Dutson Jacobson was the only woman who offered to assist us and she stayed with us till we started, and then stayed with those who were left as they were very lonesome.  Mother has suffered much pain during her sickness which she has borne with patience.  She was never known to murmur in her afflictions, which have been many, but her sufferings are over and I hope ere long to meet her where pain and sorrow have no power over us, and parting from our friends in unknown. 


We arrived in Fillmore at about twelve o’clock noon and stopped at the house that I occupied.  Found my brother Edward who had made the necessary preparations for the funeral.  The brethren and sisters were very kind and seemed ready on every hand to assist us, which was very different to the treatment we received at Oak Creek.  There they left us almost entirely alone, never so much as offering to help us for one hour.  We not only took care of our dear Mother night and day for six weeks, but when she died we had to wash and dress her ourselves as not a person offered their assistance.  It was not a very agreeable task for us, her children, but I thank the Lord for the strength he gave us to help us through so that our dear Mother never suffered for the want of care.


June 10th--We arrived in Fillmore about noon, and took dinner at Brother Callister’s.  After an examination of the corpse, the brethren and sisters concluded that the funeral might be put off till the next day.  We found very soon after dark that we had made a mistake in putting it off, and had to go very early the next morning to the grave, and there we left our Mother to sleep in peace to await the morning of the first resurrection, when I have no doubt, she will come forth in glory to reap the reward which she has earned in this life.”



The following paragraphs are copied from a sketch sent to our Historian.  The sketch is too long to be copied in its entirety, but this portion of it is very quaint:



                                                                      IN MEMORIAM


Lydia Partridge, widow of Edward Partridge, died on the 9th of June at 7 p.m. at Oak City, Millard Co., and was buried at Fillmore on the 11th.  She was the daughter of Joseph Clisbee and Meriam Howe, and was born at Marlboro, Middlesex County, Mass., on the 26th of Sept. 1793.  Her mother dying when she was about twenty-two years of age, the family was broken up, she with one brother and sister went to Ohio, where she became acquainted with and was subsequently married to Edward Partridge in the year 1819, who was a hatter by trade and carried on quite a successful business at Painsville.  They were believers in the doctrine taught by Alexander Campbell, and were identified with an organization raised up by Sidney Rigdon; at that time they were in prosperous circumstances.  She was baptized into the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, by Parley P. Pratt in 1830, and her husband being called by revelation to be a Bishop and locate in Jackson County, Mo., Sister Partridge was left alone with the care of a large family of small children, and afterward performed the journey with her children, which, to her, in those days without protecting care of her husband, was a heroic undertaking.


Edward Partridge and Lydia Clisbee began record-keeping, research and Temple work in 1836.  Five of their children came to Utah and carried it on acceptably.





                                                       ABOUT THE CLISBEE  FAMILY


Of the ancient Anglo-Norman family DeClisbe, we learn from the researches of John Fries, chronicler and antiquarian of the Scottish Border, that this house was originally of the Chateau DeClisbe, Val de Loire, Normandy.


In the suite of William the Conqueror, three knights of the family--Richard, Robert, and John DeClisbe--passed over to England, who, for distinguished valor in the battle of Hastings, (October 14, 1066) were granted Crown lands up on the Scottish Border, south of Berwick Demesne (Berwick).  These they (their descendants) still held in the time of Henry V, who, at the battle of Agincourt (October 25, 1415) one of the house, Lee Ira DeClisbe, commanding the Northumberland Archers, two thousand in number, having charged on and routed the left wing of the French army, was, at the close of the battle, highly commended by King Henry in the presence of the assembled Knights of the whole army.  And the King presented him with a shield of gold bearing the family’s ancient armorial quarters, and a new motto - “Sans Peur” - in Norman French signifying “Without Fear.”


In the time of Charles I (1625) the family, by lopping the prefix “De” from their name, thenceforth was Anglicized to “Clisbe.”  This is also borne in the deeds and charters of the Manor of Yeardly and Manor of Nechelle Green granted them by Henry V.  On these estates they lived in opulence and high respect up to the time of the Revolution in 1642, when Robert Clisbe was so severely wounded in a cavalry charge upon a body of His Majesty’s horse (Probably the Battle of Edgehill, October 23, 1642) that he died on the field.


On account of his participation in this action, two of his sons and heir, Ira and John Clisbe, were cited before a Military Commission in the Court of Brouwick, Warwickshire, to take an oath of submission and allegiance to the King’s officers in the Midland Counties.


This the two brothers defiantly refused to do, averring that rather than submit to the arbitrary dictum of a self-elected, unconstitutional Court, they would leave the country for foreign lands forever.  Being hence, heavily mulcted in money and estates, they immediately took their departure from the old Manor of Nechelle (or Machelle) Green, Warwickshire, and thence from Bristol, England, accompanied by Henry Clinte, Knight of Warwick, and several eminent yoeman families--neighbors--set sail for the Colonial Province of York (New York).


This branch left at home at the old Manor, an uncle named Ira Clisbe, noted for having brought over to England while serving the Commonwealth as Consul at Tangier, Morocco, six Thoroughbred Arabian stud horses, which, crossing the fine hunting stock of the time, produced some of the fastest racers of the XVI and XVII centuries, and from which blood has descended the racer Hamiltons and Lexingtons of Kentucky.


As the Grand Jury of Warwickshire, subsequent to the emigration of the brothers, Ira and  John, ordered a restitution of the fines which had been imposed upon them for “Contumacy”  in the Court of Brouwick, severely censuring that Court for its arbitrary sentence  and execution, the Clisbes were granted lands by a Royal Commission upon what was called the York Grant (1664) in the states of New York and Connecticut.  This is described in an old manuscript found by Anthony Barclay, of Barclay        St.,  New York, British Consul General, among a number of old British Government papers entitled  “Records of the Blood Stock-Colonial Families.”


There is also another old manuscript history of the family which proved that, more recently, a branch settled in the state of Michigan.  The paper was handed to Colonel Clisbe of the Ordinance Department, Britain, many years ago by a distinguished gentleman, General Cass, of Detroit, Michigan, and those two documents, connecting the Clisbe family in America with that of that ancient name in England were deposited in the archives of Ashton Hall, County of Warwick, in the possession of Mr James Watt, Lord of the Manor of Ashton. 


Copied from a volume of New York History, “History of Mohawk Valley”






“A number of families had moved on the Oak Creek in 1868, with the intention of making permanent homes, so it was decided to get the land from the State Land Office for a “Townsite,” and for their farm lands.


William Walker went to Salt Lake City to the Land Office and filed on a quarter section, which was obtained for a very few dollars for the townsite.  Instead of a Square Quarter Section as was planned, the town property came in a Quarter Section four 40's long north and south.  The lots were numbered and then were drawn, a lot to a family.  If a man had two families or more, he drew a lot for each one.  Each family was given 30 acres or shares of water, and each grown single young man was given 10

shares of water. Bishop Platte Dalton Lyman was president of the Irrigation Company when the plan and the distribution was made of the water.  George Finlinson was the Secretary and TREASURER.

The fields were drawn in the same manner as the city lots.  After they had drawn their property, they had to go to Fillmore to the Probate Judge, which was Uncle Marion Lyman at that time, and he gave the people their deeds for a fee of $2.50 per lot.”